Computing is available at UTC Sheffied Olympic Legacy Park.
Are you full of ideas? Do you like solving problems? Do you enjoy playing online games or using technology to make and create?
If so, you’ve already got the kinds of skills that employers need because technology is now such a big factor in almost every walk of life.
According to the Tech Partnership:
- The tech sector workforce makes up 5% of the entire UK workforce
- Employment of tech specialists is growing over four times faster than that other UK professions
- 134,000 new entrants a year are needed to fill tech specialist job roles in the UK
App development, cyber security, big data, VR and AR, are all areas that the UTC specialises in leading to a host of job possibilities in any sector.
You could set up and run your own tech company, deal with clients, manage projects, develop software or look after big IT systems, or you could become any of these people:
- Cyber Security Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Games Developer
- Solutions Analyst
- Web Designer
- UI/UX Designer
What you will study?
At KS4, you will study the Edexcel Certificate in Digital Applications (CIDA) along with GCSE Computer Science alongside GCSEs.
At KS5, you will study Level 3 OCR Cambridge Technicals in IT alongside A Levels.
You will undertake projects set by some of the region’s leading IT companies. We already have organisations with major IT departments involved in the UTC – organisations such as Sheffield International Venues and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust – alongside local entrepreneurial companies.
You will work with computing professionals on a whole range of project ideas. Given the location of the UTC on the Olympic Legacy Park with the Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre next door, there will be significant opportunities to work with sports and healthcare professionals on projects to do with health, wellbeing and lifestyle.
This is just a small subset of the many exciting ideas for projects provided by the UTC’s university and industry partners.
We are a member of the UTC Cyber Group , which enables UTC Sheffield students to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding of the role that cyber security plays, and prepares them to start their career in a digital world.
What jobs are available in Computing?
Programmer/ 3 D Developer/ Web Developer/ Technology Runner/ Software Engineer/ Junior Data Scientist/ Cyber Security Analyst/ Games Developer
- You can be one of the 1.46 million people working in the fast-moving and exciting tech industries driving the digital economy here in the UK and globally
- Learn in world class facilities that include IT suites with both PC industry-level specifications and flexible a Raspberry Pi lab.
- Study academic programmes which can include GCSE Computing and A Level Computing, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry as well as the latest Cambridge Technical qualifications in IT.