Health Sciences is available at UTC Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park.
The course will provide students with the knowledge and skills to work across numerous vocational areas of the healthcare and wellbeing sectors. Students will look at new ways to prevent as well as treat illness and help people to lead healthier lives. As s student at the UTC you will look at both the application of healthcare and the scientific research behind it.
- Sheffield City Region is at the heart of these new services and industries with world-class research and elite sports facilities alongside a growing healthcare technologies sector.
- In addition to hosting a growing number of healthcare technology companies, the region is also a hub for leading-edge research in health and wellbeing, with national centres of excellence led by both Universities, alongside elite sports bodies such as The English Institute of Sport.
The healthcare and medical professions are in great need of young people with technical and scientific skills – not just for the jobs of today but also for new jobs that are emerging.
Studying Health Sciences at the UTC will enable you to gain an extensive range of transferrable skills which will be highly valued by both employers and universities.
What you will study?
At KS4, you will study Level 2 OCR Cambridge Nationals in Health alongside GCSEs.
In addition, will have time dedicated to Physical Education, Citizenship, Careers Education and Guidance, and Personal, Health and Social Education, as well as plenty of opportunity for independent study time.
At KS5, you will study Level 3 OCR Cambridge Technicals in Health alongside A Levels.
If you are studying at Level 3, technical studies will account for 60% of your curriculum time. There are also opportunities to follow a Level 2 course.
The location of the new UTC centre on the Olympic Legacy Park provides a unique opportunity for exciting projects spanning health, sport and computing. The Park will host professional rugby of both codes as well as professional basketball, and sits alongside the English Institute of Sport, Ice Sheffield, Sheffield Arena and the Sheffield Hallam Athletics and Sports parks, all of which host international competitions and professional sport. The Park will also be home to the new Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre, a collaboration between the Sheffield Hallam Sports Engineering Research Centre, the National Centre for Sports and Exercise Medicine and the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust.
You will work with athletes, healthcare professionals, data scientists and coders on projects about how to improve the performance of the human body and apply those improvements in healthcare using technology.
An example project might be:
Working with the University of Sheffield on the Patients as Educators Project. During the project you will get to meet real patients and learn about their condition, treatment plan and experience of care. You will see demonstrations of skills associated with individual patient care. You will apply this information to case studies and look at ways to better improve care and patient experience, as well as discussing this with health professionals.
What jobs are available in Health Sciences?
Dentistry / Veterinary / Pharmacy / Physiotherapy / Nursing / Paramedic / Midwifery
- You can be one of the 1.6 million people that the NHS employs as one of the top five of the world’s largest workforces!
- At the UTC you’ll learn in world class facilities that include a Health and Development Suite including a flexible ward set-up and a facility for an operational ambulance.
- Study academic programmes which can include GCSE Triple Science and A Level Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry as well as the latest Cambridge Technical qualifications in Health Sciences.
- Participate in real life work projects which reflect the latest clinical practice
- Benefit from our links to sponsors such as the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals and local Universities Sheffield Hallam and the University of Sheffield to secure your dream job.
- Ensure that your application to University is competitive through high quality support to secure relevant work experience and advice and guidance regarding interviews and admissions tests.